Adapted from The Cooking Jar and Together as Family
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Fresh thyme
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC). Peel and cut sweet potatoes into thin slices.
- Place garlic, oil, butter, salt, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a bowl and mix well. Throw in sweet potatoes and toss until well coated.
- Lightly butter a baking dish and arrange coated sweet potatoes into a spiral. Sprinkle with a little parmesan if you like.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes. Serve the garlic parmesan roasted sweet potatoes warm and sprinkle with thyme if desired.
Jennifer picked out a recipe she wanted to use 3 sweet potatoes she had on hand, for a dinner we were invited to. These definitely needed to be cooked longer, or cut thinner. My bad! Next time I’ll do slices, which bake deliciously and look fancy as heck. Also, plastic is evil — avoid at all costs.
Curried Lentils With Sweet Potatoes and Swiss Chard, Adapted from smitten kitchen from The New York Times.
coconut oil + butter
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
fresh ginger root, grated
garam masala, curry powder, paprika
1 jalapeño pepper, minced (I had red pepper flakes)
1 L vegetable broth, or as needed
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
300 g dried lentils
1 bay leaf
380 mL canned tomatoes
125 g frozen spinach
salt + black pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of 1/2 lime
Saute onions, garlic, and ginger in fat until fragrant. Add the pepper and spices. Add the broth and bay leaf. I added canned tomatoes here, cause I like a tomato-based curry. Boil lentils and potatoes in this for 20-30 minutes. Stir in greens if you have any, and lime juice. Taste. Add more water if lentils need more time. Season to taste. Garnish with cilantro.
This was perfect for Thanksgiving. Be careful the potatoes have room to dry out (they release some moisture when cooked).
Sweet Potatoes with Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Celery
Adapted from smitten kitchen
2 big sweet potato, scrubbed, unpeeled, sliced in coins
glug of olive oil
handful of toasted walnuts
1 small shallot
2 stalks celery
some flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon dried cranberries or cherries (but I couldn’t get any)
150 g firmish goat cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
A perfect plate
Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Adapted from Alton Brown
100 g chopped frozen spinach
jar of artichoke hearts
150 g cream cheese
100 g sour cream
50 g mayonnaise (not my favorite flavor in the dip)
a lot of grated Parmesan
a pinch of red pepper flakes
2 chopped garlic