- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons cumin (can use a bit more if you like)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped and packed
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- oil, for pan frying (we used canola oil)
- 3/4 English cucumber, partially peeled (striped) and sliced
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 4 – 5 garlic cloves, peeled, finely grated or minced (you can use less if you prefer)
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp Arlotta garlic infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (I used organic fat free Greek yogurt, but you can use 2% or whole milk Greek yogurt, if you like)
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- Place all ingredients except flour in a large mixing bowl. Hulk smash.
- Thoroughly mix flour into the falafel batter with a spoon.
- Warm pita bread for serving. Sliced vegetables for serving.
Jesse got the idea for this based on the Moosewood recipe — imagine my surprise when I discovered it’s the same Moosewood as the restaurant in Ithaca, NY!