Adapted from Alton Brown
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup flax seed (can be grounded)
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (oats, nuts, seeds, brown sugar, spices).
- In a small/medium bowl, combine wet ingredients (maple syrup, oil, and salt).
- Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
- Remove from oven and cool.
I find the granola is done when it all feels dry as you stir it, and doesn’t clump together all sticky-like. I still don’t have a baking sheet, but this time I tried baking the granola in two separate dishes to cook faster. The maple syrup was a souvenir I picked while visiting my friend Francesca in Montreal. It’s some good stuff, and came in a can! Last but not least, Jesse’s tip: don’t spill.