- 2 28 oz. cans crushed tomato
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 carrot, peeled and chopped fine
- 1/2 celery stick, chopped fine
- 2 dry bay leaves
- salt and red pepper flakes (peperoncino) to taste
- 10 fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant (about 3 minutes). Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden (about 10 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and bay leaves. Rinse the tomato cans with 2 cups of water and add that as well. Bring everything to a boil. Add the basil.
- Season lightly with salt and crushed red pepper. Lower the heat so the sauce is at a lively simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves. Taste, and season with more salt and red pepper to taste. Serve!
We were renting an AirBnB and I wanted something delicious but easy peasy and super tasty. For some protein, we picked up the Spicy Jalapeño Chicken Sausage. I recommend coating the pasta in the sauce, rather than just topping with it. Don’t be afraid to garnish with parmesan cheese and more fresh basil as the mood strikes! The photo shows a leftover overloaded potato skin which reheated well in the oven.