- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup milk or nondairy substitute
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 cup fresh mixed berries and fruit (in season)
- Add oats to a glass jar (mason, jam, whatever) and pour in the non/dairy. Layer yogurt, et al. over.
- Leave it in the refrigerator (40° F or colder) for 8 hours or overnight.
- Enjoy in the morning, add additional liquid if you’d like. Best to eat within 24 hours.
The mixture will keep for up to 2 days. If you don’t add a banana, up to 4 days. Use a one-to-one ratio of raw oats and your choice of milk, yogurt, or any other dairy substitutes. Other suggested toppings: fruit (fresh or dried), nuts, nut butter, seeds, protein powder, granola, coconut, spices, citrus zest and vanilla extract. I didn’t have any chia seeds or berries in my house, alas, so I subbed with my favorite Bonne Maman confiture (jam preserves). Why oh why are healthy fruits and vegetables so expensive. I miss Germany.