Adapted from Lidia’s Italy
- Kosher salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 lb. pasta (I had farfalle)
- 10 basil leaves, freshly shredded (I had parsley)
- 1/2 cup Grana Padano, grated
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.
- Meanwhile… Saute 1/2 chopped red onion, 2-3 cloves of minced garlic, 1/2 minced carrot, 1/2 chopped gray zucchini in the saucepan.
- Bring the tomatoes to a simmer.
- Stir in the heavy cream, bring to a simmer, and cook until thickened, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Slip the pasta into boiling water. When the pasta is al dente (15 minutes) and sauce is ready, drop the pasta directly into the sauce. If some pasta water gets in there, all the better!
- Add the shredded basil (parsley), then toss to coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Remove from heat, stir in the grated cheese, and serve immediately.
I never knew this sauce had a name, but I have added cream to tomato sauce many a time for a variant on plain ol’ marinara. Not for the lactose-intolerant, of course, but adds some extra fat to a tasty vegetarian meal!