Adapted from ROSA MEXICANO. Makes 4 servings
Chile Paste Ingredients:
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- cilantro, freshly chopped
- 1/4 jalapeño, finely chopped
- salt as needed
- 3 ripe but firm Hass avocados
- 1 tomato, diced
- cilantro, chopped fresh
- 1/4 white onion, finely chopped
- salt, if necessary
- splash of lime juice
- Tortilla chips and/or fresh corn tortillas
- Make the chile paste: Grind the onion, cilantro, jalapeño, and salt together in a mortar until all the ingredients are finely ground. Alternatively, I used a fork to mash all the ingredients to a paste in a wide bowl.
- Cut each avocado in half. Twist the halves to separate them and flick out the pit. Rest an avocado half cut side up on a folded dishtowel in your palm. Make 3 lengthwise cuts through the avocado flesh down to the skin, without cutting through it. Make 4 crosswise cuts in the same way. Scoop the diced avocado flesh into the mortar. Mix all, serve immediately with the tortilla.
We made this for an easy appetizer before hosting dinner for six + 2 toddlers who ran around more than they ate anything.